|Phil Simister BSc (Hons) MEng MBA CEng MIMechE|
MBA-qualified, Managing Director/CEO/COO with a track record in the aerospace, automotive, electronics, capital equipment, contract manufacturing & consultancy sectors; and with extensive experience of a wide range of manufacturing disciplines & processes. A skilled and highly respected Business Turnaround Specialist & Change Agent; with an Operations focus; with Lean & Continuous Improvement skills; and with strategic-level project / programme management experience. Decisive and energetic with consultative management and charismatic leadership styles.
DIRECTOR – SIMISTER INTELLIGENT SOLUTIONS
Business optimisation/turnaround as Interim MD/CEO, and manufacturing consultancy, for sectors from aerospace & capital equipment to contract manufacturing & composites.
INTERIM MANAGING DIRECTOR – MKW Ltd, SPE Ltd & TME Ltd
CONTRACT MACHINING & FABRICATION
Stabilised the three contract manufacturing companies forming the PRYME Group operation at Newcastle – putting in the building blocks for recovery:
- MKW Engineering providing large scale precision machining & heavy fabrication, delivering customised solutions for oil & gas, defence & nuclear sectors
- Stargate Precision Engineering offering smaller precision-machined components for sectors including oil & gas, medical components and pharmaceutical
- TME Hydraulics and MKW Site Services providing support throughout the lifecycle of hydraulic systems and provided mechanical site support to local companies
INTERIM MANAGING DIRECTOR – MacIntyre Chocolate Systems Ltd
Recruited by Probat Gmbh’s HDM Division to run its Scottish £6 to £7 million t/o subsidiary after three years of increasing losses. MacIntyre exports chocolate making machinery to a range of customers throughout the world, ranging from medium sized national companies to Mars & Nestle. Achieved break-even and a modest profit for FY16 after £1.2 million losses in FY15 by: implementing effective control/planning of production; reducing manufacturing lead times by over half across the complete range; reducing manufacturing lead times by a factor of five for the core product; introducing modular manufacturing methodology; delivering major plant on cost/time; implementing accurate pricing based on a proper cost analysis; concentrating on the elimination of outstanding warranty issues.
SELECTED OTHER INTERIM POSITIONS
- COO – AE Oscroft: Supplying presswork to the Tier 1s for JLR, Aston Martin and Nissan
- Plant Director – Mabey Bridge Limited: Turning around a plant supplying wind turbines towers to Siemens, Nordex, Vesta & EWT
- Operations Manager – GKN Aerospace (Yeovil): Supplying structural components to Airbus, Bombardier, Lockheed Martin, Spirit (Boeing) & Augusta/Westland
- Programme Manager – Cobham Composites: Rescuing critical contracts for Lockheed Martin, MBDA (BAE, Airbus, Leonardo) & Selex Galileo
- Project Manager – B/E Aerospace Running a $3/4 billion contract bid for manufacturer of aircraft interior trim supplying to Airbus and Boeing
|Sectors & Processes|
- Aerospace – GKN Aerospace (aircraft structural components); Contour Aerospace (business and first class aircraft seating for Boeing and Airbus); Cobham Composites (radomes for aircraft & missiles); BE Aerospace (interior trim); Supplying machine tools to Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney & GE
- Automotive – Johnson Controls (automotive seating); AE (machined & electroplated piston rings); ARRK(composite body parts); AE Oscroft (automotive pressings)
- Capital Equipment – Amchem (machine tools for Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney, GE); MacIntyre (exporting to Mars, Nestle and national confectionery companies world wide)
- Contract Machining & Fabrication – MKW & SPE (oil & gas, defence & nuclear sectors)
- Composites – Cobham Composites, Contour Aerospace, BE Aerospace, ARRK
- Electronics, High & Low Vol assembly – Guardall, Strand Lighting & PCB manufacture
- Heavy Plant Fabrication – wind turbine towers for Renewables sector (Nordex, Siemens)
- High volume machining – automotive piston rings for Jaguar, Vauxhall, Rover, Ford
- High volume sheet metal – automotive pressings, aerospace details
- Production & Operations: Reduction in The MacIntyre’s manuf lead-time from 18 to 4 weeks
- Supply Chain: Reduction in Amchem’s order lead-time from 50 weeks to 18 weeks
- ERP: Project managed & implemented MRP based ERP System (now MS Dynamics Nav)
- Change Management: Extensive practical experience of change management – specialising in getting at the roots of core problems and getting the basics right
- Lean: Modern manuf masters, Lean expertise with a pragmatic bias & Lean sponsorship
- Programme Management: Rescued Lockheed Martin, MBDA & Selex Galileo contracts
- Project Management: Managed $3/4 billion contract bid for Airbus A350 for B/E Aerospace
- Management Accounting: Designed product costing system for CD/DVD manufacturer
- Finance/P&L: Turned around significant losses for MacIntyre Chocolate Systems
|INTERIM/CHANGE MANAGER – Consultancy Assignments 2003 to date|
|2018 – Interim COO AE Oscroft (automotive presswork)2018 – Interim Site Leader MPac Coventry (industrial automation)2017 – Interim Managing Director MKW, SPE, TME – PRYME Group (Newcastle)2017 – Consultant PRYME Group (Newcastle)2016/17 – Interim Managing Director MacIntyre Chocolate Systems2015/16 – Consultant improving OTIF deliveries for Davall Gears (aerospace)2015 – Consultant for ERP implementation – ARRK Europe (automotive composites)2012 – Interim Plant Director for Mabey Bridge (heavy plant fabrication)2012 – Consultant with Contour Aerospace (composite aircraft seating)2010 – Interim Operations Manager for GKN Aerospace2009/10 – Programme Management rescuing critical contracts for Cobham Composites 2009 – Project Managing a $3/4 billion contract bid into Airbus for B/E Aerospace2008 – Interim Operations Manager for B/E Aerospace2005/6/7 – Various contracts with Birmingham City Council2004 – Consultant recovering Greenfield operation for Carter Retail Equipment 2003 – Design of a product costing system for TIB plc producing CD/DVDs|
|HEAD OF OPERATIONS: Amchem Ltd2001 to 03Responsible for the manufacturing operation supplying specialist, ‘niche’ machine tools to Rolls Royce, Pratt & Whitney & GE. Major achievements were: · Complete overhaul of the supply chain· Reduction in the overall lead-time for core product from 40+ weeks to 18 weeks· Implementation of a new MRP based ERP System (Navision Attain – now MS Dynamics)|
|PRODUCTION MANAGER: Strand Lighting Ltd||1997 to 98|
Responsible for the manufacture of electronic control & electro-mechanical dimmer systems for a £53 million turnover company selling theatre lighting worldwide – automated and hand assembly of PCBs and final assembly of high value, low volume product.
|PRODUCTION MANAGER: Guardall Limited||1994 to 96|
Responsible for the output of a £20 million turnover, medium/high volume manufacturer of electronic security equipment supplying Chubb group & independent installers – Automatic Component, Surface Mount & manual PCB Assembly, Final & Robotic Assembly Lines.
|LINE MANAGER: Interconnection Systems Ltd||1993|
Employed by the largest manufacturer of Printed Circuit Boards in the UK – supplying printed circuit boards to the telecommunication and computer industries (Hitachi, Sony, Motorola, IBM) – as part of the team developing manufacturing, quality and personnel systems.
|ENGINEERING MANAGER: Johnson Controls (Automotive) UK Ltd||1992|
Executive & financial management of planned maintenance activities, and the development of production equipment (chemical distribution, robotics & PLC controlled tracks), for a Tier 2 supplier of automotive seating for Toyota, Nissan, Vauxhall & Rover.
|ENGINEERING OFFICER (FLIGHT LIEUTENANT): Royal Air Force||1986 to 92|
Six year Short Service Commission with responsibility for circa 100 personnel during four tours in UK & Germany: manufacturing/fabricating aircraft components, manufacturing general engineering equipment and maintaining military aircraft & aero engines.
|POST GRAD RESEARCH: HEPWORTH & GRANDAGE (AE Group)||1984 & 1985|
R&D for high volume manufacturer of automotive piston rings (machining and electroplating) supplying the major automotive engine manufacturers – Ford, Opel/Vauxhall, Rover, Jaguar.
Qualifications, Accreditations and Professional Development
- CEng MIMechE (Chartered Engineer – Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers)
- MBA – Graduate Business School, University of Strathclyde
- MEng Advanced Manufacturing/Business Studies – University of Durham
- BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering: 1st Class Honours – Sunderland Polytechnic
- Guenter Simon – ex CEO Hamburg Dresdner Maschinenfabriken GmbH (Probat Group)
- Brian Smith – ex CEO Continental Tyres UK & ex Independent Director BMC
- References from customers & colleagues – http://www.linkedin.com/pub/phil-simister/7/198/243
Driving Licence Full, UK
Interests Mountaineering (rock & ice climbing) & Music (singer & trombone player)